Monday 20 January 2014

2013 at Sampaguita Quilts

Now that I seem able to post photos again, here's an overdue wrap-up of my 2013 quilts. It was a relatively quiet year, with a long mid-year break where I worked on photos, read lots, and didn't quilt much!

I started by finishing the small, long-dormant piece I started in a class with Adds several years ago:



Next was a single bed quilt for Australian Patchwork and Quilting. I'd been wanting an excuse to make this ever since I first designed it, and it uses some of my own hand-painted fabrics:


I then joined round 13 of the Flickr Doll Quilt Swap and made a wholecloth linen quilt. It's entirely free-motion quilted (with mostly white thread, plus a little cherry and sea-green) to look like lace:


I followed this up with a table-runner version, using different highlight colours, for the 2013 machine quilting issue of Australian Patchwork & Quilting:


Mediterranean Tiles in beachy colours came next, with a shift to focus on the piecing, also for AP&Q and currently available for sale in my Etsy shop:


Then came a shift to flannels and simpler piecing for this cute baby quilt, again published in AP&Q and also available for sale in my Etsy shop:


My next quilt was a red and white lap quilt, simply pieced from equilateral triangles and made as a gift:


The next quilt was a commissioned version of my beach scenes, this time single bed size, and probably my favourite of the series to date:


I then got to make a different version of another series - my tree quilts. This time it was a Christmas version on a dark background with several hundred twinkly swarovski crystals. This one was hung in our living room over Christmas:


This next quilt is a strong contender for my favourite of the year. It's a commissioned single bed quilt representing the solar system, and I got to include loads of fun details:


After that I was back to making quilts for AP&Q; Magic Carpet has the appearance of a scrap quilt, but the spicy jewel toned fabrics pieces were all very carefully selected from my stash and some pieces fussy-cut. It's also available in my Etsy shop:


Also for AP&Q (and also in my Etsy shop) is the quick summer project, Melted Icecream, which I made using a roll of 2.5in pastel batik strips I won in a blog giveaway:


Next up was another commission, another large version of my tree with another possum and some other cute, personalised details:


Coming out in AP&Q in a few months, my next quilt is entirely machine appliqued and embellished, and probably my second favourite of 2013. I think this one will find a home on a wall in my house:


The final finish for the year was another gift, made from solid fabrics and enhanced with wholecloth details:


I already have another quilt quilted and ready to bind (in fact, I got it to that stage between Christmas and New Year) and have been working on a large commission which I'll start sharing soon. I've also been busy helping James to finish his next quilt which is due to AP&Q urgently and therefore my current priority.

2014 isn't shaping up to be too busy just yet (though there are a few baby quilts on the horizon). Once again I'm hoping that will mean I get to tackle a few quilts I've been wanting to make for a while.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Such a pleasure viewing them again. Each and every one of them is lovely. Thanks for sharing them.

Unknown said...

They are all beautiful. Of those, my favourites are the beach quilt, the possum in the tree and the solar system quilt.

celkalee said...

Your work is stunning, your talent very unique. A beautiful collection!

battynurse said...

Seeing your work and the free motion feather class I took last week give me hope that someday I might be able to quilt my own stuff. Your work is truly beautiful.