Monday 18 March 2013

Bursts of Illusion

My quilt Bursts of Illusion is in the current issue of Australian Patchwork and Quilting (Vol 22 No 5).


It looks as though it's a New York Beauty block, but I've redesigned it. My version of the block is called Echidna, and has no curved seams!


I really like the way the block orientation makes them look out of shape.


It even makes the perfectly straight edges of the quilt look wavy!


I made my quilt with a tone-on-tone white background, and spikes from a selection of Paula Nadelstern prints, which are colourful patterns on black backgrounds. In hindsight, I should have omitted a few of the acid citrus colours.


4 comments:

Joan said...

Beautiful Emma

Audrey said...

The illusion of wonky blocks is wonderful, especially since it did not involve any special trimming. Great job.

Unknown said...

nice illusion :)

and like usual beautiful quilting

Well done :)

Jane Smith said...

I love this design! Is there any way to get hold of the pattern for this quilt? I can't find the magazine you mention here in the UK and as it was in a past issue, I'm not sure if it would still be available.

Thank you!