Monday 7 January 2013

Catching up

I originally wrote this on Saturday, but couldn't upload photos. It's no somewhat out of date, so I've had to largely re-write it. It's been another hot day (40C) so staying inside has been the only option. Our house looks quite a sight - the foam insulation sheets I bought recently for quilt purposes have been positioned covering windows from the outside, and any windows without complete blackout curtains have woollen blankets and thick towels pinned over them to minimise the amount of heat coming in. It's very effective, and helps the struggling air conditioner to manage in the extreme heat. My sewing room doesn't get the full benefit of the air conditioning, but I'm enjoying the Dyson air multiplier (i.e. fan!) which Simon bought me for Christmas.


I've been back quilting today, working on this quilt I started just before Christmas. As anticipated, it's a case of slow and steady; I picked a fairly slow design requiring marking and precision, and it's further slowed by frequently having to change the height of the foot to get over bulky seam allowances. Add in a silly wrist accident playing with the children and general holiday/heat lethargy, and there's not much new to show, although it is coming along nicely.


I've finished the pearls in the blocks and am now doing those in the background areas, but then I need to go back and finish feathering outside the pearls in 2 of the 4 blocks. The remainder of the white background will be quilted with a filler - NOT pebbles though!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Love the quilting you are doing. The circles inside the bands are very appealing. Thanks for sharing.

CitricSugar said...

The quilting is gorgeous!!

And Dyson fan? Nice!

celkalee said...

I never cease to be amazed at your quilting skills. Beautiful.

2 Little Monkeys said...

Are you using Glide for this one too? I'm new to FMQ and would love you thoughts and a quick summary of the pros and cons of the threads you use most often.