Tuesday 24 April 2012

Space to avoid pinning

I hate pinning! I avoid it wherever I can. And when I'm sewing 300 identical seams, I love the space in the 820 to position the pairs of pieces and lay them out, so I can chain-piece and just slide the next one over to the needle when I'm ready for it. In as few 'batches' as possible - efficiency and all that...


The quilt top I'm working on has exactly 1000 pieces. I sewed the 600 white triangles to the 300 coloured triangles in two (long!) steps - separated by (very long!) sessions with the iron (also done production-style). I've also joined the sets of triangles, and added the 100 white rectangles and am starting to combine the units into complete blocks.

The other night I had meant to piece, but I spent the evening with my feet up and a good book, with Shadow curled asleep in my lap for hours. The following day I had meant to tidy, but pieced instead. What do I need to plan to do to actually get around to the housework? A dinner party on Sunday - resulting in a day of flat-panic housework for everyone to make up for everything we've delayed!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you do your housework too early, you only have to do it again. It's all in the timing. The "piecing space" looks really handy. I have bits laying about in all sorts of places around my machine to do the same, nowhere near as efficient as your way.

Wendy said...

I'm with you - I hate pinning too and often avoid it (and end up with wonky seams!!)

Unknown said...

You want to talk housework motivation? I have my book group arriving in just over an hour and what am I doing??? Catching up on my blog reading!