Thursday 17 February 2011

New arrivals

The first batch of new arrivals at Sampaguita Quilts...


The bottom third or so of the pile is Prospect Park by Kitty Yoshida for Benartex. There are also some supplies for my beach and snow quilts, some new stripes, a little Amy Butler and Ty Pennigton, 2 batik 'sushi rolls', and Kate Spain Fandango and William Morris jelly rolls. I'm currently eyeing-off another bunch of batik rolls...

Something I noticed yet again while folding and sorting these and squeezing them into my cupboards, is that Moda fabrics are a much softer, finer fabric than other manufacturers. Benartex seems close in quality, but others, such as Michael Miller, Free Spirit etc. definitely have a coarser feel. What have you found?

4 comments:

Quiltbenaco said...

Wow, wow wow
sospirone



Ciaociao

Relentless Toil said...

Moda definitely has a distinctive hand. It is the loveliest quilting cotton to touch. My LQS owner says that before she started carrying Moda, some people would come in, promptly ask for it, and promptly walk out when she informed them she didn't have it yet.

I'm not a huge fan of Moda's die cut edges, though... the zigzaggy sawtooth edges. They throw me off of my precision piecing game.

Always a joy to see your posts,
Keet near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

Kay said...

Quite a haul of fabric! I'm sure you'll put it to good use.

Moda is definitely softer, but I'm not sure that's always a good thing. Does the softness indicate the quality really? How about quality of dye and printing, etc.? But then I'm not a big fan of Moda's designs, so maybe that's my prejudice speaking.

I enjoy your blog, particularly liked the pictures of your children at the sewing machine.

nanann said...

Just catching up right now on my google reader, so a really late reply:

I think Moda does tend to be softer, but I also think it tends to be thinner and stretches more. I find it annoying to work with myself and avoid it usually. I tend to go to fabrics with a more substantial hand. I think that's one of the reasons I love batiks so!