Wednesday 15 September 2010

Jumps

(James and Elaine on Scott Quad)

James had been looking forward to skiing ever since we went last year, and I think both he and it exceeded expectations.

(Mucking around, waiting for Eleanor to finish her lesson)

It didn't take long for him to remember what he was doing last year. Unfortunately the weather was foul on the first day, but despite the atrocious conditions (wind strong enough to have all but one lift on wind-hold, heavy snow and poor visibility), he pushed through without complaint.

(James and I returning to the apartment after a day's skiing)

We chased-up the instructor he had for private lessons last year, much to his delight. Rover's comment after his first lesson: "He talks a bit more than last year, doesn't he?" I asked if he'd stopped talking through the whole lesson, and the response was, "Not really!".

(James and I back home, from the apartment window)

He finished last year able to turn, stop, slow down and start. This year he progressed to being able to get his own skis on and off (most of the time), a stronger snowplow, and stem christie turns (the first step towards parallel skiing).

(James getting air at the bottom of the rollercoaster in the terrain park)

He got bored on the runs he enjoyed last year, too! When we asked where he wanted to ski, the usual answer was, "Jumps!!!". There's a relatively easy terrain park off the side of one of the beginner runs, and we spent a lot of time there. The first time I took him over them between my legs, just lifting him where you'd normally jump, then the next time I went faster and we both jumped - him between my legs again.

(Finding an extra jump)

That was enough for him - he wanted to go alone! So I'd follow closely behind at first, then moved to skiing part-way through and getting the cmaeras out, and he's go fro it. By the end of the week, he'd learned where all the little jumps and kickers were, and would even go over the kickers at the side of the rails for extra jumps.

(Going off a kicker at the side of a rail)

He also started to ask to ski where we skied, and in the last few days we took him on some runs which were definitely more challenging for him. Ruined Castle is a nice cruisy blue run (not as flat as it looks in the photos) for us, but long and steep for small legs.

(Simon and James skiing Ruined Castle)

James was desperate to ski with stocks this year, so a few times while I had my hands full with Eleanor, I let him use mine. I think next year we'll hire him some, although I doubt they'll be of much use to him.

We're already looking forward to next year...

1 comment:

Nancy Page said...

He is a quick learner. Looks like a good time was had by all.

Have a super great day.